Peter J D'Adamo ND is a naturopathic physician noted for his popular books on the Blood Type Diet. Co-authored by Catherine Whitney, his series of books suggest that appropriate diet and lifestyle depend on an individual's blood type.
D'Adamo gained a Naturopathic Doctorate (ND) from Bastyr College, Seattle WA, in 1982, and is licensed as a naturopathic physician in Connecticut, British Columbia, Washington, Ontario and Arizona. He has a medical practice in Wilton, Connecticut.
In 1990 D'Adamo was awarded Physician of the Year by The American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (). He is Adjunct Clinical Professor for both the Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine, Tempe AZ, and the National College of Naturopathic Medicine, Portland OR.
With the publication of Eat Right 4 Your Type in 1996, D'Adamo became known internationally as an author.
In 2001 D'Adamo founded the Institute for Human Individuality (ifHI). In 2005 he instigated the first IfHI biannual conference and certification, at which he was the keynote speaker.
Peter D'Adamo lives with his wife Martha Mosko D'Adamo, who runs North American Pharmacal (NAP).
D'Adamo writes self-help books on diet and lifestyle in relation to blood group, and promotes naturopathy. The success of his first book lead to subsequent publications, in which he expanded on the initial concept. He has also published some of his writings in audiobook form.
In addition to his publications, D'Adamo has developed an extensive website. From his interest in lectins, he established Lecster, "the largest open-access searchable database of lectin characterizations, clinical correlates and citations on the Internet." ()
- Board of Directors, American Association of Naturopathic Physicians
- Board of Trustees, Bastyr University
- Founder and Editor Emeritus, The Journal of Naturopathic Medicine
- International Advisory Board, Complementary Therapies in Medicine (Churchill Livingstone Publication) Edinburgh, Scotland
- Board of Advisors, HIV and AIDS Research Protocols, American Western Life Insurance Company, Foster City, California
- Founder and Board Chairman, Institute for Human Individuality (IfHI)
- Gut Ecosystems I-III: AB0 and other polymorphic systems. Townsend Letter for Doctors. 1990;88 ()
- Possible alteration in ABO blood group observed in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. J. Naturopath. Med. 1990; 1: 39-43 ISSN: 1047-7837
- With Zampieron, ER. AB0 bias may signal innate differences in "Natural" immunity. J. Naturopath. Med. 1991 ;2(1): 11 - 16
- Chelidonium and Sanguinaria alkaloids as anti-HIV therapy. J. Naturopath. Med. 1992;3(1): 31 -34
- Combination naturopathic therapy in Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. J. Naturopath. Med. 1993,4(1): 24-25
- Illustrated guide to the history of bedside medicine. J. Naturopath. Med. 1993(4)1: 43-51
- Larch arabinogalactan is a novel immune modulator. J. Naturopath. Med. 1996 (6)1:33-37
- With Kelly GS. Metabolic and immunologic consequences of ABH secretor and Lewis subtype status. Altern Med Rev. 2001 Aug;6(4):390-405. Review. PMID: 11578255